Most would think that summer is when utility bills start to come down, but this is not necessarily the case. Summer presents some unique circumstances that can put extra pressure on your electrical system. A-Star electrical service Calgary can help guide you through what might be pushing your commercial or residential electrical bills upwards, and offers many exciting indoor and outdoor lighting options to help you save.
Make Sure Air Conditioning Units Have Been Serviced
First, if you are lucky enough to have air conditioning, make sure it has been fully serviced. Unlike heating, which is run by natural gas in Calgary, air conditioning units rely on electricity, and they can be extreme guzzlers of energy. In the summer, your air conditioning unit can easily be the largest contributor to electricity bills.
An air conditioning servicing by and HVAC professional should include:
- Cleaning of the condenser coils
- Air filter removal and cleaning
- Cleaning of the fan coil
- A final spray with an anti-bacterial solution to prevent bacteria and mould from building up
Remember, the less difference there is between the indoor and outdoor temperatures there is, the less it will cost you. Take advantage of the many smart devices available that can help you bring down your energy bill, including programmable air conditioner thermostats that will turn off units when you are not home, and turn them back on in time for your arrival back.
Shut, Flip, and Close
Additionally, make sure to teach your family or employees about the value of keeping windows shut, flipping the switch and properly using curtains and blinds.
- Keeping windows closed will stop the indoor temperature from fluctuating so that your air conditioning unit doesn’t have to kick in as often.
- Using as much natural light as you can in the summer is very smart. Light bulbs not only use electricity, they also heat up rooms.
- Closing blinds and curtains at the right times is important, too. As night, closed blinds and curtains add insulation, which keep rooms cooler. During the day, opening them a little can allow heat to escape, but also allow light to enter. Invest in reflective blinds and curtains, which are reversible. In the summer they will reflect heat back to the outdoors, and in the winter they will reflect warmth back inside.
Finally, simply spending more time outdoors can make a big difference, and hey, it’s good for you too! Avoid using your electrical appliances by spending the days out in the sun.
Reduce Use of Outdoor Electrical Light
Summer is the perfect time to sit outside and enjoy watching the day turn into night. And then continue on watching the stars appear. But the increased use of outdoor lights can result in higher energy bills if you’re not careful.
Of course, we always recommend LED lighting for its many benefits. LED bulbs use up to 90% less power than incandescent bulbs, which lose most of their energy through heat. That can make a massive difference in your energy bills.
For residential outdoor lighting we also endorse battery-powered lights, timers, and motion sensors to light areas when needed. Lots of lighting design tips and tricks can illuminate spaces beautifully while also making sure you can enjoy your property.
Commercial buildings must be lit at night for security purposes. We at A-Star specialize in utilizing different kinds of outdoor lighting for different spaces for peak efficiency as well as safety. Proper outdoor lighting will deter thieves at the same time as making your business seem approachable and professional.
Different types of outdoor lighting for commercial buildings includes:
- Area lighting for entries
- Accent lighting to highlight architectural features
- Bollard lighting for walkways (these can also provide additional protection from smash and grabs)
- Flood lighting for parking lots and large empty spaces
Contact A-Star for Electrical Service Calgary
We at A-Star Electric are certified journeyman or apprentice electricians who believe what we do can improve people’s lives. As we work together on your residential or commercial property to provide electrical service in Calgary, designing your electrical work and/or carrying out your plan, we will ensure that your electrical system is working at its peak efficiency, that all codes are met or surpassed, and that all necessary inspections have been completed. Schedule a service inquiry today!