Knowing what can go wrong with your home electrical system gives you the resources you need to avoid a potentially dangerous circumstance. Certified Electricians like us at A-Star are experts at spotting and repairing home electrical system hazards to stop issues before they start. Electrical safety inspections are part of our business, where we will provide a complete written electrical safety inspection report in conjunction with your electrical repairs or installation work, or create one on its own. There are many reasons to call an electrician, and we are happy to stop by your residence or commercial business at any time to evaluate the safety and efficiency of your electrical system.
Here are your top seven home Electrical System Hazards:
1. Poor Wiring
Your Home Electrical System is complicated. Poor wiring can make a major difference in how it operates. And there are serious consequences to bad wiring, as well. Overloading a badly installed system can result in surges, arc faults, and even a fire.
If you are constantly tripping breakers, the lights dim when you fire up an appliance, or simply just go out, it’s probably time to start thinking about upgrading your electrical panel and wiring.
Aluminum and knob and tube wiring are especially dangerous. Neither have the essential grounding needed that will stop and disperse shocks and surges before they can cause damage. We can switch out your old wiring for modern copper wiring, and also streamline your home electrical system at the same time so that it operates at the highest capacity. As we work together to design or improve your electrical work, we will ensure that all codes are met or surpassed and that the necessary inspections have been completed.
2. Improperly Placed and Overloaded Outlets
Lots of DIY home electricians are perfectly capable of adding in outlets, but electrical codes are there for a reason. A violation can not only be hazardous, but also nullify your home insurance. Placing an outlet too close to a water source is a major home electrical system hazard. Safety outlets are available to reduce the chance of an incident should an electronic device come in contact with water, but outlets should also be located with care and observe all local codes and bylaws.
Children are curious, and they want to know how things work. Due to their lack of impulse control, children are especially susceptible to all sorts of accidents. A-Star can help you retrofit your home to reduce the chances of your kids inadvertently tangling with electricity. Make children well aware of proper electrical etiquette early on. Teach them how to unplug and plug in appliances using the handgrip above the prongs, to never overload a power outlet, and to keep flammable items away from outlets as well. Children should also be made well aware of the dangers of power lines. Warn them to never fly a kite near power lines or climb on power poles, and to stay away from transformers.
4. Water Around Electricity
To reinforce points two and three, water around electricity is extremely dangerous. Even handling an electrical appliance with wet hands can result in a shock. We can help update and place your outlets in a way that is serviceable and as safe as possible.
5. Extension Cords
There are a number of ways in which extension cords are not advisable at any time, and they should never be used as a permanent solution for a need of additional sockets. Not only are they easy to trip over, some are not properly surge-protected. To us at A-Star, extension cords represent a need for extra capacity, which we can help build in or design into any room to make it as functionable and efficient as possible.
Old-fashioned incandescent bulbs waste a lot of energy through heat, which is why they are being completely phased out in favour of LED lighting. They get very hot, which is why we all have to wait for while to change a bulb after it has burned out. Incandescent bulbs can also get hot enough to set fire to flammable materials they may be in contact with.
7. Unsafe Appliances
Unsafe electrical appliances include:
- Toaster ovens. Large kitchen appliances are safety-tested before being allowed on market, but unfortunately toaster ovens are not as vigorously assessed. They can get extremely hot, plus overstress systems.
- Clothes dryers. Emptying the lint trap on your clothes dryer is imperative to preventing a fire. It also makes your dryer operate more efficiently.
- Clothes irons. An unattended iron is a recipe for disaster. They can easily burn into the cloth coverings of ironing boards and spark a flame.
- Kitchen appliances. Make sure all kitchen appliances are kept clean, free of grease, and are regularly maintained.
A-Star Electric are Your Calgary Commercial and Residential Electricians
We at A-Star Electric are certified journeyman or apprentice electricians who believe what we do can improve other people’s lives. Your home or business’s electrical system is integral to day-to-day life and work, and we believe in making sure your panel and wiring run as efficiently and conveniently as possible. Since we began operations in 2010 we have completed numerous of residential and commercial jobs, and are proud to have earned a solid 5-star rating from the Better Business Bureau of Calgary. We always carry out our professional duties in a positive, efficient and courteous manner. We are fully insurable and bondable, and have each undergone a police background check. Contact us for your commercial and home electrical system needs.