Some of our favourite jobs we’ve done at A-Star Electric involve restaurant electrical installation. It’s great to design lighting that brings out the best features of an eatery, plus set up circuits perfectly so that the electrical system operates seamlessly and efficiently. We think of this kind of work as supporting Calgary’s entrepreneurs while also providing beautiful spaces for dining out.
A-Star Electric of Calgary’s certified journeymen electricians are experts at carrying out the complicated wiring needed to run a restaurant efficiently and reliably. Kitchen exhausts, air conditioning systems, freezers, refrigerators, ovens and stoves are all often all being used at the same time. This number of industrial-sized appliances usually requires a customized electrical panel. There are also lights, signs, computers, and service terminals to run, not to mention network wiring, phone wiring, and wiring for television and media systems. We are happy to do all of this for you promptly and professionally. We are always looking to earn your recommendation.
Specialized Electrical Services for Restaurants
As a restaurant owner, your equipment, lights, entertainment systems, and computer network needs to be working at all times. We are on call to come at any time should anything go wrong.
Additional restaurant electrical installation services we provide include:
- Fulfilling lighting requirements for health codes
- Exterior and signage lighting
- Security lighting
- Audio/visual design
- Kitchen equipment electrical repairs
We will also always label your fuses in your electrical panel clearly so that there is never any confusion as to what runs what.
Protecting Your Restaurant From Common Electrical Hazards
As a restaurant owner, the last thing you want is an electrical issue that may cause your business to have to close while being repaired. Not only is this lost revenue for you, it’s also lost wages for your valued employees. And, of course, the worst thing that could happen is an electrical fire, which may cause your business to have to close permanently.
Here are three ways to protect your restaurant from common electrical hazards.
1. Schedule maintenance regularly. Some of the electrical hazards we see the most often in restaurants are worn electrical cords, faulty wiring, improperly installed electrical components, and overloaded circuits. Restaurants are busy places, and we understand how some things can get overlooked. We strongly suggest having us come by and check your restaurant electrical installation regularly throughout the year. Every four months or so is ideal. We can catch problems before they happen and prevent a business closure, fire, or injury.
2. Train your employees. Make sure your employees know what to look out for that may be dangerous. For example, if outlets are installed near a source of water they must come equipped with ground fault circuit interrupters, which will shut off electrical circuits the moment they detect moisture. These are identifiable by buttons (usually red and black) with “reset” and “test” printed on them, and are specifically designed to protect people from electrical shock. Also ensure your employees know to never overload an electrical outlet and to never use extension cords as a permanent solution to a lack of places to plug in. Just give us a call and we’ll come configure your electrical system so you have all the access you need.
3. Take advantage of technology. There are numerous electrical safety components available that just need to be used to be effective. For example, receptacle boxes made of non-conductive material act as a ground, stopping electricity from flowing where it shouldn’t. Surge protectors help prevent damage to sensitive equipment. And smoke and carbon monoxide detectors can be hard-wired in to your electrical system so that you don’t have to worry about dead batteries.
Why Go LED?
A conservative estimate for the lifespan of an LED bulb is 60,000 hours. Considering incandescent bulbs last for 1,500 hours at the most, you would have to buy 40 of those to last as long as one LED bulb. What makes them really remarkable, though, is their incredibly low consumption of energy. They use up to 90% less power than incandescent bulbs, which lose most of their energy through heat. That can make a massive difference in your energy bills.
Choose A-Star for Your Restaurant Electrical Installation Needs
We at A-Star Electric are a group of certified journeyman or apprentice Calgary electricians who are committed to providing the very best in electrical service for your restaurant. We offer electrical panel repairs and replacements, wiring upgrades, lighting design and installation, electrical work for renovations and overhead line services. Contact us for more information.